Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Haters Gon Hate

Most people don't know this about me, but I'm a pretty big nerd. Most people don't know because I don't know most people. I have given myself the title of "closet nerd" because I don't do embarrassing things like wear Arwen Evenstar's pendant from the Lord of the Rings Movies or Xena: Warrior Princess t-shirts. I do normal nerd/geek things like taking pictures of me kissing a life size cutout of Legoas (which I have since deleted) because what I do in the privacy of my own home doesn't make anybody else cringe at how sad my life is. What they don't know doesn't hurt either of us. But, since we're all friends here, I wanted to give you all a little taste of just how bad its gotten.

Last semester I took an English 316 Technical Writing class. The last few class periods were dedicated to oral presentations from papers we had written during the semester. One kid wrote about different kinds of computer viruses and for his presentation decided to relate them to Lord of the Rings characters. Then he related a virus to Saruman: Presenter: And the crystal ball thing that he uses is like a (some virus thing), but I can't remember what its called...

Me: Palantir

Class looks at me.

Presenter: ...What? Did you say something?

Me: (Louder) Sorry, the crystal ball... its called a Palantir

Class stares

Presenter: Oh, right. Thanks...

Me: *Inner moment of triumph

Sad, I know, but I was actually pretty proud of myself. Still am.

Then we had a little incident at a statistics test review session. Before it started I realized that a girl I know was sitting in front of me. Me: Hey aren't you going on a mission?

Girl: Yeah, to Peru!

Me: Cool, when do you leave?

Girl: July 31st

Me: Isn't that Harry Potter's birthday?

Girl: ...yeah, I guess it is, I-

Me: You're going to HOGWARTS!!

You would think I would be embarrassed, but what you don't know is I get cash money for being so into fantastical facts.

For instance, I went to the midnight showing of the Hobbit (obviously), but I actually went to a special 8:30 showing of the Hobbit with a pre-party where they asked us trivia questions for $10 gift cards. So, Doc and I sit down and a lady dressed as an elf or something comes up to our section and asks...

"How many members did the company have when they left Bagend, including Gandalf?"

Everyone started putting their heads together and counting on their fingers, I however simply raised my hand and said, "15" And you know what? I got a ten dollar gift card. I couldn't believe it took everyone so long, everybody knows that there are 13 dwarves, Bilbo, and Gandalf in the company that left Bagend. I got two ice cream cones and a tub of popcorn for that little fact.

1 comment:

  1. I was Hermione for Halloween three years in a row. I quote Lord of the Rings at work. I had a dream that Harry Potter was my boyfriend. Then he convinced me to order a bloody Mary as my first alcoholic drink. What a rebel.

    Marci

    ReplyDelete