Sunday, September 26, 2010

Best Day of My Life: Part 2 Getting Down With My Rutts!



Ok, so I just had the best night of my life. It was so fun and awesome. So, I went to this bonfire with a boy from the wildlife and range club and his friend, who is a girl. The bonfire was down at Sandy Beach on Utah Lake. We drive down this long windy road to get there, and we try to park but there is a ledge that drops off into the lake. As this boy, John, tries to back up his front left wheel goes over the ledge! It was the craziest thing to be in a car that was teetering on the edge of a cliff! We were on the brink of death. But really it was like a five foot drop so he just pushed the car while the other girl, Shannon, reversed. I tried to help push but my efforts went unnoticed. I am weak.
So, we get the car out and walk down to the beach where there is a huge party going on. I felt a little self conscious but started talking to people anyway, then John tells me that this is not the right party. Oops. It's actually some wards party, but I made some new friends anyway. Then we decide to find the actual bonfire and walk down the beach. The beach is pretty dark and there is lots of debri so John, being the nature/prepared type, pulls out a HEADLAMP! It actually didn't help us much because when the person wearing the headlamp is walking fast than everyone else, its still hard to see. So, we finally arrive at the right fire and there are two guys and police car standing by it. One of the guys walks up to us, I didn't know him so I kept walking, but he stops me and draws us all close and murmurs, "There's a cop. Just keep it on the DL, don't make a big deal out of it." And this is where my life changed for the better.
The boy that invited us to the bonfire is also in the Wildlife Conservation major and was supposed to meet us there. However, because the three boys were shooting guns, they got the cops called on them and the boy who invited us, Clint, HAD A WARRANT OUT FOR HIS ARREST!!! So, basically I'm thinking this night is getting off to a good start. Unfortunately, Clint only had an outstanding charge for a parking ticket and had to go get money to pay it. So the lady cop and her dog hung out with us for a while, flirted with Brant and vis versa, til Clint payed his fine, then left. Then more people showed up. Here are the introductions:
Brent: (I think this was his name)22 Tall lanky guy, wearing a plaid shirt, talks with a southern accent. Is from the white colonies in Mexico.
Scott: 22 Dark, good looking guy, with nice long curly hair. Is from the white colonies in Mexico, but is often mistaken for a mexican.
Clint: 25 Tall, white, wearing camo hat, is in two of my classes. Originally from Anchorage, Alaska but then moved to white colonies in Mexico. Has a girlfriend who was absent.
John: 24 Looks sort of like Aladdin. President of Wildlife and Range Club and invited me to go to bonfire. From Anchorage, Alaska.
Kemley: girl who looks like Lisa from The Wedding Singer and wears cowboy boots. not important
Dax: Kemleys lover
Jimmy (Patrick): 2- Army kid, blonde, has entourage of two heavy girls and one cute girl i think he likes. Funny. Southern Accent, from Missouri. Tried to ballroom dance with me.
Shannon: 22 has a cute voice. From Homer, Alaska. Knows Arn(d) and Kathy and Kids.
Me: 19 awesome.
All these people, or the guys at least, are nature, gun shootin, alaska/mexico hybrids, so you can see why I felt a kinship with them. And I get the feeling that I am in the movie Sweet Home Alabama on the beach partying with a bunch of hicks. And just to drive the point home, we were burning piling things from Walmart and every car there was a pickup truck. It was the best feeling ever. It was the sort of thing I don't usually do with the sort of people I don't usually hang out with. But at the same time, with my chosen field, these are the people I probably will be hanging out with.
So we sat around making s'mores and burning these pilings, with country music playing on a truck radio. For the record I still do not condone the use of country music. Don't really like it, never have, but it fit well with the atmosphere.
After awhile Brant and Clint decided the party really needed to get going, broke out a homemade cannon, packed it with gunpowder, and lit it off. Then, after jimmy, kemley and their posses left, Clint took out a pistol and we all took turns shooting it at pop cans!!! We were even supplied with earplugs! Brant piled about 5 pilings on the fire so we all had to stand about 15 feet from it or risk third degree burns. I shot the pistol a couple times, but never hit anything but sand. I couldn't even see where I was hitting. Keep in mind it was my first time. I was actually pretty scared because the gun would jump, so I would jump. Then I would get embarassed and look behind me because the guys would laugh. Apparently, Clint finds my gun shootin "adorable". Frankly, I felt I would strike fear into the heart of anyone who saw me with a gun. I'm pretty intimidating.
After that we went home, back to my boring life without po-po, fire, guns, cannons, or any action at all. I hope to hang out with those people again as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment